help-gnucap

Re: libtermcap

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: libtermcap
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 14:42:26 +0100

Hey Karl.

On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 01:43:20PM +0100, karl@aspodata.se wrote:
> You are right, ln -s libtermcap.so.2 libtermcap.so solved it.

Sounds like a package bug. Or they don't want you to link against it,
for whatever (un)reason.

> > NB: the autotools build system [1] does not try -ltermcap (anymore), and
> > will probably fail on older systems. Not sure if this is a good
> > solution. Maybe pkg-config is?
>
> I think termcap is to old for pkg-config (which started in 2000),
> e.g. gentoos libtermcap-compat doesn't have pkg-config files.

We'd only need readline.pc. On Debian, it is in libreadline-dev. The
file does not mention termcap.

> c++ test_readline.cc -lreadline -ltermcap ||
> c++ test_readline.cc -lreadline

You'd also have to adjust the Make.lib generation based on the findings.

I use (and recommend) the autotools build system, for the time being.
It's more complex, but also more standard. Choose your pick.

thanks
felix