Crashes with STL, string on Solaris

From: Martha DeMore
Subject: Crashes with STL, string on Solaris
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:08:00 -0800

We are writing an application that runs on Windows NT and Solaris using g++ 2.8.1.  On Solaris we have all kinds of crashes using the standard objects and templates: string, list, map, tree, etc.  The failures seem to result from things like list.empty(), map.insert() or string.assign() calls that encounter NULL or invalid addresses in the list or map, etc, almost as if the objects are not being initialized properly.  The code runs OK on Windows, and Purify does not find any significant problems.  Has anyone else seen this?  Do we have a bad g++ installation?

-Marti DeMore
SeeBeyond