Re: Position dependant Compiler errors

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: Position dependant Compiler errors
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I've a function in C++.  It looks something like this:

int i;
bool bval = IsLeapYear();

running the code returns a value is 0 (incorrect).  If I add any additional source code, i.e. so it looks something like this:

int i;
int j;
bool bval = IsLeapYear();

the return value is 1(which is correct).  No matter what additional source code I add, bval comes back 1.  If I remore the additional source code, bval goes back to 0.  So it seems there is some bug that is a function of what I'll just label object code position.

Does anyone have any familiarity with such an occurance?  Of course, I can try turning off all optimizations.  This will probably work, but I don't consider that a real solution (i.e. I don't want to turn optimizations off for everything).

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.  The compiler came off of a RedHat 7.0 install, compiler version is 2.96 20000731

Thanks in advance
David

Do you Yahoo!?