windows programming with g++

From: cppaddict
Subject: windows programming with g++
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:00:04 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to learn Windows programming and I'd like to use g++
instead of Visual Studio.

I come from a UNIX background, and have written lots of console apps
using g++.  I'm comfortable with using a text editor, makefiles, and a
command line compiler.  Is there any way to write windows programs
this way?

I just tried compiling a sample windows programming using g++, but I
got an error saying it could not find the header file "afxwin.h",
which I assume is a windows-specific library file that obvioulsy
wouldn't come with g++.  Perhaps there's a way to get all the
necessary windows library  files and put them where g++ can find them?
Or am I walking down the wrong path?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
cpp