Re: Newbie: include files

From: Guy Harrison
Subject: Re: Newbie: include files
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 01:00:53 GMT

Monte C. Haun Jr. wrote:

> I just happily downloaded a gnu devc++ IDE from Bloodshed software.
> I finally got it to compile but it wouldn't recognize this command:
> #include
> <iostream>  or <iostream.h>  "no such file or directory" . It would,
> however,
> compile with #include <stdio.h>.
> C:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp\include....this seemed to contain: stdio.h
>
> C:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp\include\c++....this seemed to contain: iostream.h
>
> I started a project and the bullet was in C++ program instead of a C
> program, and the file was named *.cpp
>
> It doesnt seem to go down to the next subdirectory down from include files
> to c++
>
> I dont know what to do.

We don't deal with IDE issues here, just the gnu compiler itself so you'll
have to post to a bloodshed forum. It sounds like your C compiler is
working and it *appears* the C++ headers are installed so a reasonable
thing to check atm is which compiler got invoked - the IDE needs to cause
"g++" to be run for C++ programs and "gcc" for C programs. If you've
figured out how to add extra compiler options you can add "-v" flag which
makes the compiler very verbose - it'll tell you which header paths it's
looking in. This'll suffice for a test program...

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
 std::cout << "ook\n";
 return 0;
}

You'll need to tell 'em which IDE version you downloaded & also mention if
you have mingw and/or cygwin installed in which case your PATH contents may
be of interest.