gcc on IRIX

From: Vadim Grinshpun
Subject: gcc on IRIX
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:19:29 -0400

Hello,

I'll roll two questions into one post :)

Q1. The GCC web page listing the status of GCC on all platforms (http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#mips-sgi-irix6) says that the -enable-threads option (for running ./configure, when compiling GCC) does not work on IRIX. Does anyone know the exact implications of this? Does this mean that gcc cannot generate threaded code at all? Or that it can, but glibc is not thread-safe? Or whatever else?

Q2. Has anyone been successful in compiling gcc 3.3.4 or 3.4.x on IRIX?
I get compilation errors when I try to do this (and I tried compiling with both tje MIPSPro compiler and GCC 3.3.3)

Thanks,
-Vadim