Re: g++ still doesn't suppor export keyword ?

From: Ulrich Eckhardt
Subject: Re: g++ still doesn't suppor export keyword ?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:53:58 +0100

William Xuuu wrote:
> My g++ version is 3.3.5. Currently, i've to put template's declaration
> and its implementation together into a .h, which is such a mess.

There is currently only one compiler that supports export, and the general
consensus after implementing it(which took several man years!) was that it
wasn't worth it. Honestly, that feature, though standardised, hasn't been
thought through to the end, and now that people are smarter might even be
removed from one of the next C++ standards, see[1].

Sorry, it's not going to happen.

If your code is too large and you fear code bloat, it is common practice to
only declare the bigger parts of it in the header and define them in a
separate file(ending is usually .icc or .inl). The user then needs to
include that file in one(!) of their translation units and explicitly
instantiate the version they need, see also the FAQ at parashift's.

Uli

[1] http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2003/n1426.pdf
--
http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html