Re: How should I tweak LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: How should I tweak LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
Date: 22 Mar 2005 18:25:03 -0800

red floyd <no.spam@here.dude> writes:

> Compiler: gcc (GCC) 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-49)
> Problem: I installed Matlab R14SP2, and adjusted my LD_LIBRARY_PATH as
> they specified in their install manual.
>
> Now, when I throw exceptions, they are never caught, and terminate()
> is called instead.  The problem is in the MATLAB version of
> libstdc++.so.5

Assuming MATLAB was compiled with any version other then the one
you have, what you are doing (runtime-linking together code compiled
with different versions of g++) has undefined behavior.

> ($MATLAB/sys/os/glnx86/libstdc++.so.5 -- where $MATLAB is the
> installation directory).
>
> What is the best way to set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that I get the stock
> libstdc++?

If you use the "stock libstdc++", MATLAB itself will likely stop
working (because now it will get gcc-3.2.3's libstdc++.so.5 instead
of the one it is expecting).

There is just no way you can safely link together code compiled
by different versions of g++.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.