Re: Can GCC guess where to find template definitions?

From: James Kanze
Subject: Re: Can GCC guess where to find template definitions?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 23:21:54 +0200

Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
> comeau@panix.com (Greg Comeau) writes:

>>Paul Pluzhnikov  <ppluzhnikov-nsp@charter.net> wrote:

>>>The only people who actually implemented 'export' templates
>>>(in the EDG frontend) disagree with you

>>You're wrong, that document does not say they disagree with
>>James.

The document does.  The problem is that the people it says
disagree with my evaluation disagree with the article.  The
article is very slanted, to put it mildly; in the discussions
concerning it in comp.std.c++, the people "quoted" complained
that they were quoted out of context or were misunderstood, and
that they favored export.

> It doesn't? The article says:

>   All (Steve, John, Daveed) [when asked by other implementers
>   for advice about how best to implement export]: "Don't."

> I don't read this as "there is no excuse for any vendor not to
> have implemented exported templates long time ago", but
> perhaps my command of the English language is lacking :-(

You understand the article, but you really should go to the
sources first hand.  Try looking up some of the postings by
David (or Daveed) Vandevoorde in response to the article.

>>Furthermore, they argued in its favor when n1426 was discussed
>>in the committee.

> That may be true; but (again disagreeing with James) they
> still don't think this is a good language feature:

>   Steve Adamczyk: "Although we oppose the language feature, ..."

What he actually (might have) said is: "Although we opposed the
language feature, ..."  It's interesting to note that two major
opponents of the feature were EDG and Dinkumware, and both speak
positively of it now.

--
James Kanze                                 mailto: james.kanze@free.fr
9 pl. Pierre Sémard, 78210 St.-Cyr-l'École, France +33 (0)1 30 23 00 34