Re: g++ compiler

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: g++ compiler
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 12:12:36 -0700

ganeshb@gmail.com writes:

> The functionality  I am expecting is that,
>
> 1. apply my annotations (directives) and modify the source code.
> 2. apply g++ optimizations (esp. inlining) over the modified code.

  2a. reconstruct the optimized IL tree into valid/compilable C++

> 3. Repeat 1-2 until convergence (some condition set by me).
>
> I would like to know if this is an achievable task using g++.

Everything is achievable in theory.

In practice, step 2a *alone* will probably take you a lot longer
than a month (I've worked on such a reconstructor, and would estimate
2 (mythical :) man-years of effort to write one from scratch).

OTOH, it you don't need "all possible" trees to be correctly
reconstructed (i.e. you only care about a handful of hand-coded
inputs), then this might be doable in a week or two.

Also note, that the code after optimization may not be easily
convertible back into C++, only to "lowered" C (I never looked at
optimized IL, so don't know for sure).

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.