string class library issues

From: Mike Dunlavey
Subject: string class library issues
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 03:51:15 -0700

I am a new user of GCC on Windows.  The version I have is 2.95.2.
I cannot get this simple file (called test.cpp) to link, due to library
problems.

        #include <strclass.h>
        //#include <string>

        void main (int argc, char **argv){
                string s = "Some String";
        }

the error from the linker is this:

        c:/ccbPZonM.o(.text+0x2f):test.cpp: undefined reference to
`String::String(char const *)'
        c:/ccbPZonM.o(.text+0x4f):test.cpp: undefined reference to
`String::~String(void)'
        c:/ccbPZonM.o(.text+0x6a):test.cpp: undefined reference to
`String::~String(void)'
        collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If I try the '#include <string>' statement instead of strclass.h, I get a much
more longer
and less helpful list of unresolved references.

I have tried looking for the string class in all the .a files that come with
GCC, without
success.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks