Re: Crash following optimisation goes away when inserting printf

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Crash following optimisation goes away when inserting printf
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:04:38 -0800

Ulrich Eckhardt <doomster@knuut.de> writes:

> Every function call modifies the stack and possibly some registers (I'm not
> 100% sure when and how the latter are modified).

In addition, adding string literals changes the global data layout,
and adding a function call changes code section layout.

Each of these can also make a bug "hide".

The bug is most likely still there, but its symptom is now "corrupt
something" instead of "crash". Whatever is corrupted may not
be important, or it may be that it is important but you haven't
discovered the ill effect yet.

Since the software is "muti-platform", make sure you have no bugs
reported on other platforms by other tools, e.g. valgrind on Linux,
or Purify on Solaris, or Insure++ on Linux and Solaris etc.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.