Re: GDB, I know, I know, off topic

From: Bernd Strieder
Subject: Re: GDB, I know, I know, off topic
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:38:29 +0100

jalqadir@gmail.com wrote:

> Sorry, but I don't know where else to find C++ programmers who,
> without a doubt, will be able to help me with this problem.
> I am developing a GUI [GTKMM] under MS Window XP, and since I am not
> familiar with the development aspect of MSW I am having problems with
> the GDB.
> The application has a 'runtime error' or in other words, it has a
> segmentation
> fault, to find out which method call caused the segmentation fault
> [sf], I typed     gdb Jaime.exe -> run [the sf occurs] -> bt... then
> the words " No stack." appear.

The eip register ("info registers") tells the currently executed machine
code address. Maybe you can find some function with its starting
address before that with "info symbol <address>".

Do you have all the libraries with debug information. If any of the
libraries crash and you don't have debug info, you will have a hard
time with after crash analysis.

Without a stack gdb cannot tell anything. The stack pointer and any
other register might be corrupted due to a corrupted stack. Try to set
breakpoints as short before the crash as possible and move step-wise
from those breakpoints onwards. Always remember the last position
before a crash as the position of another breakpoint before restarting.

Bernd Strieder