Looking for tool to convert source code for beyond g++2.95

From: Ray Earley
Subject: Looking for tool to convert source code for beyond g++2.95
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:49:47 -0500

I am hoping to find a tool to help modify c++ code to work with g++ compilers/libraries version 3 and above. We have a large body of software, thousands of source files and millions of lines of code, which builds fine under gcc 2.96 (Mandrake linux, I realize not an "official" gnu release). It was originally built on Sun/SGI platforms and still compiles there with conditional directives to handle platform/compiler differences.

As I pondered writing something to do the modifications, it occurred to me that there is likely a piece of software out there to do what I need. It's a similar situation to some time ago converting a group of C programs from K&R to ANSI C, and the program 'protoize' was a godsend.

Among the things I know need to be dealt with are the namespace issue ( "using namespace std" and corrupting the std namespace, or inserting std:: in all the appropriate places) and the new header names ( dropping .h for C++ headers, and using cxxx instead of xxx.h for C headers). There are probably other changes I have not become aware of yet.

I have scoured the web and newsgroups and not found anything but hope I just haven't used the right search terms or searched the right places yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Ray