Bit-field endianness

From: John V. Shahid
Subject: Bit-field endianness
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:43:10 -0400

Hi everyone,

Does anybody knows if there's a way to figure out the endianness of the
bit-fields in structures (i.e. a macro). I'm currently using autoconf to
detect the endianness of the machines (i.e. Big vs. Little Endian), but
failed to find an AC_* macro that would detect bit-field endianness. I
thought about writing my own AC macro for this purpose, but wanted to
check so that I don't reinvent the wheel. I'm a bit surprised that
autoconf doesn't have a macro for this purpose.

Thanks in advance,
--
John V. Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com>