Re: Hello World output problem

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Hello World output problem
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:13:44 -0700

noste60 <noste99@yahoo.com> writes:

> I compiled with
> gcc Test_001.c -o Test.exe
> When I execute the Test.exe file it does not give any output.

The problem is that 'test' is a standard UNIX utility, and you
likely didn't execute the 'Test.exe' you've just built, but instead
executed /usr/bin/test (which is part of cygwin).

Name your exe something else, and it will work:

  gcc Test_001.c -o Test_001.exe

Alternatively, run your executable explicitly (instead of relying
on your shell and PATH to find it):

  ./Test.exe

> I am sure I am not the first and only person who encountered this issue

You aren't ...

> I tried to run the exe file in the GDB.
> No errors are sent out and the code results in giving the right output.

That's because 'gdb' uses different rules to figure out what you
want to do: it tries to find executable in the current directory,
and only then looks at your PATH.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.