Re: Network Manager Service

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Network Manager Service
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 21:52:53 -0800

> Oops, I had left an extra #:use-module line in there, sorry!
>
> Could you try this one?

On my GuixSD system, The new patch works with one problem: Network
Manager still does not show any wireless networks.  I solved this by
adding wpa-supplicant-service (this service was mentioned in the manual,
but it was actually missing from code!) and making
'network-manager-shepherd-service' require it.  Here's the updated
patch:

I then updated my operating system configuration file as follows:

After I ran 'guix system configuration', Network Manager pretty much
just works.  Specifically:

* Network Manager starts automatically on boot.

* Network Manager detects wireless networks.

* I can connect manually to wireless networks using Network Manager.

However, there is one problem: Even if I select "Connect automatically"
(in the "Identity" section of the settings page within Network Manager
for my wireless network), Network Manager does not automatically connect
to the network.  I'm not sure why.

I would love to see this patch go into master, but I have a few
concerns (which are probably non-blocking):

* It looks like it's possible to have an "incomplete deployment" of
  services in GuixSD.  For example, if you add (e.g.,
  network-manager-service) without also adding wpa-supplicant-service,
  the 'reconfigure' will succeed, but the wireless aspects of Network
  Manager will not work.  This seems undesirable.  In the same way that
  Guix/Nix ensures "complete deployment" of components in the store, is
  there a way we can ensure complete deployment of services in GuixSD?

* Should we update the desktop templates in
  gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl?  It looks like it's impossible to
  add both wicd-service and network-manager-service to the same config
  file.  Therefore, perhaps we should supply a "gnome-desktop.tmpl"
  example for those who want the GNOME desktop specifically?  The
  changes necessary to get Network Manager working with the
  "desktop.tmpl" might not be easy for someone who is new to Guile.

* I'm not sure (yet) how to investigate why Network Manager is failing
  to automatically connect.  If you have any ideas, please let me know.

--
Chris