Re: Using Guix API in a foreign distribution

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Using Guix API in a foreign distribution
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 16:04:52 -0700

sirgazil <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Guix 20170415.01 (binary installation) on Debian 8, and I was
> hoping to use the Guix API by installing the guix package as a normal
> user, but it seems Guile can't find guix modules:

> $ guile
> GNU Guile 2.2.0
> Copyright (C) 1995-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
> This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
>
> Enter `,help' for help.
> scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (guix packages))
> While compiling expression:
> ERROR: no code for module (guix packages)

> I'm using Guile from Guix, and I have all the environment variables set
> as suggested by "guix package --search-paths". Also, I can install Guile
> libraries from Guix and Guile finds them without problems.
>
> So, is anyone able to use the Guix API in this way, or do you have to
> clone the Guix repository for that?

It works for me on a foreign distro.  This is what I see:

address@hidden:~$ guix package --list-installed | grep guix
guix    0.12.0-6.73a4   out
/gnu/store/3xwb1alcv5xd2zgcxp1d1bqqgv0afxj2-guix-0.12.0-6.73a4
address@hidden:~$ env | grep GUILE
GUILE_LOAD_PATH=/home/marusich/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0
GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=/home/marusich/.guix-profile/lib/guile/2.0/site-ccache:/home/marusich/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0
address@hidden:~$ find -L $(env | grep GUILE | cut -d = -f 2 | tr : '\n' | sort
| uniq) -name packages.scm
/home/marusich/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0/guix/packages.scm
/home/marusich/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0/gnu/packages.scm
address@hidden:~$ guile
GNU Guile 2.0.13
Copyright (C) 1995-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (guix packages))
scheme@(guile-user)>
address@hidden:~$

Can you share the output of similar commands on your system?

By the way, I see you're using Guile 2.2.  Does this same problem occur
when using Guile 2.0?  I think Guix is still compiled using Guile 2.0,
so I get warnings when trying to import (guix packages) using Guile 2.2.

--
Chris