Re: Guix on aarch64

From: Benjamin Slade
Subject: Re: Guix on aarch64
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 21:52:24 -0600

On 2018-08-20T11:51:20-0600, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
 > I looked in the GNU tar source code to see what could produce that
 > message during archive creation.  The message would seem to indicate
 > that an error occurred during a kernel-level 'write' call to the archive
 > file.  The code is written to retry in case of short writes or EINTR.

 > What kind of filesystems are running on /tmp and /gnu?  How much free
 > space is on those filesystems?

/tmp is a tmpfs filesystem on ext4, and /gnu is on ext4. there was over
20Gb of free space.

I seemed to need to:

1) create a very large /tmp
2) create an even 2nd larger swapfile
3) increase swappiness to 100 (to make sure it actually used the
swapfile(s) before deciding it was out of memory)

Because one of the things it wanted to do (for tar?) was create a ">8Gb
sparse file", and this would fail with an "out of memory error" with the
a second 8Gb swapfile on top of my original 3Gb swapfile.

(Unfortunately, even after I fixed that, it chugged away for over
24hours, when I just wanted to install `emacs` and `certbot`. In the end
I just ended up using Nix to install these. :( )

--
Benjamin Slade - https://babbagefiles.xyz
  `(pgp_fp: ,(21BA 2AE1 28F6 DF36 110A 0E9C A320 BBE8 2B52 EE19))