Re: Guix System Latest: Installation report

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Guix System Latest: Installation report
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2022 10:29:17 +0100

Hi Luis, sorry for the late response; I’m somewhat behind on my mail.

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:
> Personally, I think the Latest should be prescribed somehow. Maybe add
> some hints to make people be sure that that one is the recommended
> installer? I don't know...

At <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52596#3> I wrote this; I think it is
still valid:
> What matters is that users try first to install with the stable
> [standard] Guix System image, because it is more likely to succeed,
> but if it does not succeed, they can try the other one.

> 2. INSTALLER: KEYBOARD LAYOUT SELECTION
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to provide a text box to let people
> try out the selected distribution. Because, for example, Spanish has
> many options and I'm always unsure about whether I selected the right
> one,

There is the F1 key to change layout (among other things).  I don’t know
see how to do better.

> 3. INSTALLER: PRINTING AND DOCUMENT SERVICES SELECTION
>
> I pretty much skipped that step because I didn't understand exactly
> what it was about (I've never used CUPS, I think). After looking up
> CUPS on Wikipedia just now, I'd propose that installation step to read
> along the lines of:
>
>   Enable CUPS if this machine is going to provide printing services to other
> devices in your network.

It’s also for printing from the system you are installing on.  But yes,
this step apparently is confusing.

> 4. INSTALLER: AFTER INSTALLING ALL PACKAGES
>
> After the whole process of downloading, grafting and installation of
> packages, the installation of the system seemed to be frozen in
>
>   Inicializando el sistema operativo en /mnt

Yes.

> I clicked the Restart button in the installer window, removed the
> installation media, and then saw a kernel panic message. The machine
> didn't restart. I had to restart it manually.

I’m not sure if that got fixed already.

I guess you need to ask guix-devel or the installer team
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/etc/teams.scm.in>
in particular.  help-guix maybe is not read enough?  Not sure.

> 6.2. WiFi was activated, but not connected to any network. I was
> expecting it to be already connected to the same network I used during
> the installation. Is it not supposed to work like that currently?

Should the installer be doing set-up other than what’s in the guix
operating system config.scm file?   I guess no.

Regards,
Florian