Re: Stumpwm & using Lisp in guix - particularly quicklisp

From: Paul Jewell
Subject: Re: Stumpwm & using Lisp in guix - particularly quicklisp
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 14:14:46 +0000

On 25/12/2022 08:05, Paul Jewell via wrote:
I have now gone down this path, and nearly everything is working as expected. The only problem I am tripping up with is sbcl-slime-swank is trying to (require 'sb-cltl2) and failing, even though I have added sbcl-trivial-cltl2 to my system configuration. It seems I am not the only person who has tripped over this issue, although the previous message thread [1] didn't link the problem to sbcl-slime-swank. When I comment out the code in my configuration which adds swank, I am up and running.

This is what I have included in my system configuration:

"stumpwm"
"sbcl-cl-ppcre"
"sbcl-trivial-cltl2"
"sbcl-alexandria"
"sbcl-clx-xembed"
"sbcl-clx-truetype"
"sbcl-stumpwm-ttf-fonts"
"sbcl-stumpwm-swm-gaps"
"sbcl-stumpwm-stumptray"
"sbcl-slime-swank"

although having looked in the source for the package definition for stumpwm, some of these are superfluous.

Do you use sbcl-slime-swank in your configuration, and if so, did you come across this problem with cltl2?

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/help-guix@gnu.org/msg13498.html

OK, so I have fixed this problem, following on from the hints in the message thread linked above. I defined SBCL_HOME as an environment variable, and pointed it at /run/current-system/profile/lib/sbcl (since I installed sbcl and stumpwm in the system configuration). I am not sure if the requirement to do this means there is a issue somewhere in sbcl-slime-swank which means it doesn't find sb-cltl2 (from sbcl-trivial-cltl2). I tried adding sbcl-trivial-cltl2 as an input, but this didn't resolve the problem, and I don't have enough guix knowledge yet to explore further.