Re: Specifying rust version

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Specifying rust version
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 12:34:06 -0500

Hi,

phodina <phodina@protonmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> It's typical that build system or services expose a way for the user to
>> use a variant of a package, but in the case of rust, I don't think it
>> should be advertised as a way to use different rust versions (given only
>> the last version is supported by upstream, e.g. sometimes fixing CVEs).
>
> I have to agree with you that this is just an anti-pattern and the #:rust
> should not be advertised.
>
> The best approach would be to add new rust version and switch to it.
>
> So do you think Maxim the `#:rust` parameter should be dropped and the
> documentation also removed?

I don't think it needs to be dropped, as it can be useful for
experimentation.  Sometimes, newer rust may be needed and the work to
update the entire collection (with the risks it entails or the build
time) deferred, in which case it could be used.  It's preferable though
to do the work to package the latest and greatest rust and rebuild the
whole collection with it, on a branch though.

I hope that helps,

--
Thanks,
Maxim