help-hurd

Re: Post-install exit status 137 in upgrading libc0.2 on fresh Hurd inst

From: Michael Oberg
Subject: Re: Post-install exit status 137 in upgrading libc0.2 on fresh Hurd install.
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:38:41 -0700 (MST)

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 06:33:58PM -0700, Michael Oberg wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I freshly installed my Hurd (running in VMWare) from the newest tarball from
> > alpha.gnu.org, and copied the latest base files from
> > ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/base/
> > to the disk.
>
> I have no clue how VMware works. Have you tried testing this normally?
> Without running VMware?

VMware shouldnt be an issue here.  I mentioned it in the off chance it affects
performance
enough to puke dpkg or something.  Or that I need to use --smallmem (which I
tried and same
error) or some other option to take into consideration that it runs like a
pentium 90 with 48M,
instead of my 400 with 384M.

> > When I attempt to dpkg -i /debs/libc0.2_2.2-3.deb, I receive the following
>
> This should not be an install issue. The latest tarball does not contain this
> version of libc0.2. Try and get the machine up and running first before
> adding new pachages. I think this will limit your headaches considerably.

The machine is up and running, just fine.  its when I go to Upgrade libc that
this happens.
I need to upgrade libc so I can use the current gcc/binutils/whatever to do
devel/testing.
This just happened to be the first thing I did after a perfectly successful
install.
Dpkg installs packages that do not depend on this version of libc just fine
(wget, screen,
and a few others).

> > A search on debian.org shows that /sbin/runlevel belongs to base/sysvinit,
> > which to my understanding does not exist (yet) for the hurd.
>
> Nope, it isn't on the Hurd yet. Someone may be working on it.
>

> Hope this helps,
> Lanir

Thanks for your reply,

- Michael Oberg