help-hurd

Re: trouble booting hurd

From: James Morrison
Subject: Re: trouble booting hurd
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:54:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- "B. Douglas Hilton" <bdhilton@charter.net> wrote:
> Actually, now as I think and the old neurons spark back to
> life, it wasn't a type, but rather a problem with oskit-mach.
>
> Anyways, the "old" method of booting was something like:
>
> grub> root (hd1,1)
> grub> kernel (hd1,1)/boot/gnumach.gz -- root=hd0s1
> grub> module (hd1,1)/boot/serverboot.gz
> grub> boot

 No the old method did not have -- anywhere.  Unless that is the old, old
method.

> Except you can edit your grub's menu.lst to include some
> rather intricate lines to entirely replace serverboot.gz
> which is now the preferred method. You will need to
> research this on your own. I'd suggest writing it down
> on paper, and when it works, add it to menu.lst as a
> replacement for the serverboot.gz thing.
>
> The serverboot.gz "should" still work, but it is obsolescent.
> If you "zless serverboot.gz" you will see a bunch of commands
> similar to the newer command line boot method.
>

> So Jim, how far is the University of Waterloo from York University?
> Hope you can make it to the Debconf 2 this year in Toronto. I'm
> looking forward to it. It would be nice to have a strong Hurder
> presence.  I'll have to shine up my Debian t-shirt... The only
> thing that scares me is the zip up the QEW from Buffalo to
> Toronto, you Canadians drive like fiends! Six lanes bumper to
> bumper at 120+ KPH! Eeek! My old car can barely go that fast...

 I will be @ debconf 2.  Give me a month and I'll figure out the North American
GNU Hurd t-shirt situation.  If RMS is reading, would the FSF like to start
selling GNU Hurd t-shirts, like fsfe is?

 120 km/h, who drives that slow.  You'd have to be 2 hours away from Toronto to
see someone going that slow.  Put the octane in your car, it should be a quick
trip at 135 km/h.

  As Jeff said, Thug will be out in full force for debconf 2.  Hopefully we can
get Joe Drew in a Hurd t-shirt for a couple hours.

> On Monday 15 April 2002 09:36 pm, James Morrison wrote:
> > --- "B. Douglas Hilton" <bdhilton@charter.net> wrote:
> > > yet :-)
> >
> >  This isn't quite right.  While using oskit-mach, you must end the kernel
> > line with --.
>
> Drat!

 Just to be clear:  kernel (hd0,3)/boot/oskit-mach.gz root=device:hd3s1 --
NB. those partitions are made up, but would still work if your system was setup
that way.  Wait, no they aren't made up, I have used this line before.

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone refering this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU