help-hurd

Re: mboxfs, the mailbox filesystem

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: mboxfs, the mailbox filesystem
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:17:22 -0500

> The Hurd has this concept built in at the system level, which means that all
> programs can benefit from it, not only those written to use libferris (GNOME
> VFS, KDE ioslave...), and it is completely transparent to them.  They aren't
> even asked if they want it.

        aha. ok. I begin to understand.

> I don't really know what you have in mind.  If you mean you could write a
> generic ferrisfs translator that provides a ferris abstraction as a Hurd
> translator/filesystem, then this might be possible, although I would be
> surprised if it will give good results.
        yeah, somehthing like that had occurred to me. something like that
would take advantage of work that other people are doing; so we wouldn't
have to write translators for *everything*, we could use libferris and the
plugins that they support.

        if you would indulge my ignorance of kernel programming; why would
results not be good if we used a ferrisfs?

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises