help-hurd

Re: hurd

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: hurd
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 11:59:54 +0100

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 08:00:49AM +0800, Xingbo Wang wrote:
> hi,
>     I'm a student in Tianjin Polytechnic University of China.And the GNU
> system is my biggest concern. As we all know,the Hurd is the kernel of the
> GNU system. So I want to know how Hurd get along? When do you think is there
> a stable version? Thank you for all you do about GNU.

Noone knows, but a stable release won't likely happen untill most of the
limitations are fixed. To get an idea on what they are, see
http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/KnownHurdLimits. There's more
stuff in the TODO file.

There are also issues like performance and stability which have a lot to
improve.

If you want to help, ask in bug-hurd about your plans.

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992