Re: Multiple rules for same target: what is the order of prerequisites i

From: Renaud Pacalet
Subject: Re: Multiple rules for same target: what is the order of prerequisites in $^ and what does $< expand to?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:32:22 +0200

On 9/27/23 21:39, Philip Guenther wrote:
On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 7:52 AM Renaud Pacalet <renaud.pacalet@telecom-paris.fr
<mailto:renaud.pacalet@telecom-paris.fr>> wrote:

    On 9/27/23 16:32, Bahman Movaqar wrote:
     > On Wed, 2023-09-27 at 12:16 +0200, Renaud Pacalet wrote:
     >
     >> 3. Ignore all other implicit rules (which seems to contradict 4.11).
     >
     > Make only ignores the implicit rules for which there are
     > explicit/static equivalents.

Per 10.1 "Using Implicit Rules", make will only use an implicit rule for a
target if there isn't an explicit rule with a recipe.  If a target has an explicit rule
with a recipe, then make won't bother looking for implicit rules and so won't use them to
add more prerequisites.

Note that there are additional requirements on what implicit rules will be used
even when they are considered: if they have a prerequisite that doesn't exist
and make doesn't see how to build, then it'll ignore the rule.

    Thanks for your answer, Bahman. Not sure what "equivalent" means but with
the following Makefile:

    %.a: %.b

    a.a: a.c
          echo $^

a.a has an explicit rule with a recipe so the %.a:%.b rule has no effect on the
a.a target.

Thanks a lot Philip. This is in line with my own conclusions. I guess my
algorithm is thus probably correct. Note that the findings of Bahman
(target-specific variables are taken into accounts even if declared in a
pattern rule while an explicit rule with recipe exists) complicate things. I
will continue my experiments and, if I find a way to explain all this clearly
enough, I'll submit a proposal of improvement for 4.11 which I find misleading.

Best regards,

Renaud.