Re: [HELP] PHONY pattern rule makes the file w/ the same name

From: Bahman Movaqar
Subject: Re: [HELP] PHONY pattern rule makes the file w/ the same name
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 03:27:43 -0700

On Wed, 2023-10-04 at 10:55 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> Sorry but I don't really understand the problem.  Maybe you can explain
> it more clearly: provide the shortest, simplest repro case and show
> both what happened and what you expected to see, and explain why you
> expected it.

Good idea.  Please see this repository:
https://github.com/throw-away-repos/make-pattern-rules

> That's not really right.  What .PHONY means is that make will _always_
> rebuild that target (if it is considered), regardless of whether or not
> the file exists on the disk or whether it's out of date with respect to
> its prerequisites.

I see where I misunderstood .PHONY.

> It also means that implicit rules are not searched, for PHONY targets.
> See:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Phony-Targets.html

I definitely needed to re-read this!  That said, I'm still confused.

I'm thinking that my understanding of implicit rule search combined w/
.PHONY is not enough to explain the situation in the repository above.

--
Bahman

Join the chatter on Matrix:
         🗣️ https://matrix.to/#/#.mk:matrix.org