Re: Prerequisites and .DEFAULT -- what am I doing wrong?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Prerequisites and .DEFAULT -- what am I doing wrong?
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 09:49:37 -0500

On Tue, 2023-11-07 at 22:02 +0400, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:
> However, when I run `make` on this Makefile, the recipe for
> `build-base-image` is not run, despite that it is specified as a
> prerequisite for the `.DEFAULT` target:

>From the docs:

.DEFAULT
   The recipe specified for .DEFAULT is used for any target for which no
   rules are found (either explicit rules or implicit rules). See
   Defining Last-Resort Default Rules. If a .DEFAULT recipe is
   specified, every file mentioned as a prerequisite, but not as a
   target in a rule, will have that recipe executed on its behalf. See
   Implicit Rule Search Algorithm.

This talks only about the recipe; it doesn't say anything about
prerequisites, and, in fact, prerequisites of .DEFAULT are ignored.