Re: Suggestion for "errexit" equivalent for $(shell ...)

From: paul david
Subject: Re: Suggestion for "errexit" equivalent for $(shell ...)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 09:16:13 +1100

Hi,

On 2023-12-27 at 08:55 -05, quoth DSB <yahoo@boyski.com>:
> I see that you've researched this thoroughly and aren't asking for
> suggestions other than an answer to your .SHELL_ERREXIT question but I still
> thought I'd offer the macro I wrote to solve this. It's not as easy as a flag
> but at least it's a line-for-line replacement.

This is fascinating -- yesterday i actually spent a few hours trying to write a
macro that does exactly that, but between returning values and whitespace
issues i didn't manage.  Your macro is what i was trying to achieve, so might
well be the first acceptable stopgap measure i've encountered.

Thanks for sharing that snippet, i'll give it a go.  I'd still be interested in
the possibility of adding a flag or option though :).

Cheers,
p.