agony wager

From: Rosemary Vinson
Subject: agony wager
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:09:49 +0530

Whytry to lift my foot and mount the stair?
That little man with ablue chin has a right hand that is withered.
I shall assemble a few words andforge round us a hammered ring of beaten steel.
The hatchet must fall on the block; the oak must becleft to the centre. We are infinitely abject,shuffling past with our eyes shut.
Now, through my own infirmity Irecover what he was to me: my opposite. There stands the tree which I cannot pass.
I hope to inherit an arm-chairand a Turkey carpet. I smell roses; I smell violets; I see red and blue justhidden. About him my feeling was: hesat there in the centre. Hence our loneliness; hence ourdesolation.
I am blown like a leaf by the gale; nowbrushing the wet grass, now whirled up.
Nothing thathas been said meets our case.
I am going to push out into theheterogeneous crowd.
Lookat the firelight running up and down the gold thread in the curtain.
Arrows ofsensation strike from my spine, but without order.
Hence our loneliness; hence ourdesolation.
Now theypaused in their song as if glutted with sound, as if the fullnessof midday had gorged them. The green pot bulged enormously, with itswhite window elongated in its side. Already I no longer cry with conviction, What luck!
I will pacethis terrace and watch the ships bowling down the tide.
The dragon-fly poised motionless over areed, then shot its blue stitch further through the air. Why, look, said Neville, at the clock ticking on the mantelpiece?
Happiness is in it, said Neville, and the quiet of ordinarythings.
I must be able to say,Percival, a ridiculous name. The houses are lightly founded to bepuffed over by a breath of air.
He says, looking at thepeople passing, he will shepherd us if we will follow. Break one andyou shatter a thousand pounds. The common fund of experience is very deep.
And I could believethat beauty is once more set flowing.
A womanwalks on deck, with a dog barking round her.
Meeting and parting, we assemble different forms, makedifferent patterns.
Now the shadow has fallen and the purple light slants downwards. Toys I twist, bubbles I blow, onering passing through another.
That was themost perfect of our meetings. Hence our loneliness; hence ourdesolation.