unbearable

From: Geffrey Stokes
Subject: unbearable
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:50:28 -0700

His arm round her, he turned again towards the painting. The odd thing is thatyou dont at any time lose weight.
I must have one or twopeople with me who are something more than these other creatures.
Jonathan pinched his lip, glanced at Betty, and answered: What youchoose, Lady Wallingford. He thought for the first second that there wassomeone with her.
In fact, she talked,as no doubt she told you, about insects and imbeciles. The shock of them and of reliefwas so great that Jonathan felt a little light-headed. His arm round her, he turned again towards the painting. Jonathan and Richard both stared atthe painting. But so far hes not done or said anything about it.
And Father Simons face is exactly the same shape.
Lady Wallingford, he said, Ive apologized forsomething I never thought or intended.
But Bettys engagement to me isanother matter. Jonathan was moving towardshim; he said as he came, What a mother! Its far and away the best thing youve done, Richard answered.
Beyond them, in a kind of rockpulpit against a great cliff, was the preacher. The husky urbane voice said: Come; you must not think I seethings as she does.
If thats serious, we have very little in common. Nor was I, said Jonathan, till I met Lady Wallingford. That indeed might know more, much andvery terribly more. It was his first experience of such a nature, of another life.
Jonathan said: Its a trick of this light.
I never seethings with other peoples eyes. Hishead was a little forward; his eyes were fixed. I must have one or twopeople with me who are something more than these other creatures.