help-nano

Re: Swap control and command keys on a mac

From: DJ Chase
Subject: Re: Swap control and command keys on a mac
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 19:35:23 +0000

On Mon Jun 27, 2022 at 10:28 AM EDT, Zach DeCook wrote:
> On Mon Jun 27, 2022 at 10:12 AM EDT, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> >
> > Op 27-06-2022 om 11:03 schreef Robin Twiggs:
> > > I've managed to get my Mac keyboard to behave as close as possible to my
> > > Linux
> > > Mint with biggest change being swapping control and command keys on the
> > > Mac.
> > >
> > > Nano, in this environment, now expects command key presses in place of
> > > control key.
> >
> > I have no idea what the Command key does.  Does it behave like the Alt key
> > on Linux?
> No, the command key is the "OS" key, often called "Super" or Mod4 in
> Linux desktop environments.

It’s not really like super; super isn’t used for regular shortcuts like
control/command + c for copying. I’ve heard it best described as “a
second control key to reserve the control shortcuts for the terminal”
(so for example copy is command+c instead of control+shift+c).

> Having the command key behave as meta (Alt) in your terminal emulator
> would be something dependant on your terminal emulator or desktop
> environment (not on Nano's configuration).

I also use mac keys on linux and Nano works perfectly. I use kinto.sh to
handle the mapping because it can change it depending on the app, so for
example command in terminals is rebound to control+shift and control is
just control.

Cheers,
--
DJ Chase