help-serveez

[help-serveez] appoint

From: Ambrose Wright
Subject: [help-serveez] appoint
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:41:14 +0200

Mahomets wife stood by him throughgood and evil report, even when he married a younger woman. Hesmiled, remarking that Id find lots to say as soon as I was on myfeet.
Not only are the laws uncodified, butthey are at sixes and sevens.
To walkhumbly is not a becoming attitude for men.
Every code of morals will have to take into account peculiarities ofrace.
Of BenJonson, Aubrey writes: I have heard Mr. Here myagreement with Wells comes to an end.
French literature, Isaid, has become the world-literature of today because it isoutspoken, free. Now all this, it seems to me, is false, and a libel on humanity of theworst. Nunes, the great man, can do nothingbut leave the country of the blind no wiser than he entered it. Let us begin, then,with a study of morals. Thou hast great allies, Thy friends are exultations, agonies And love and mans unconquerable mind. He would get no reward for this, bare thanks.
What is to be said of our modern morality, the rules of health whichwe are now supposed to observe? But how can we arrive at a natural code, a code in close conformitywith the nature of things? I had almost said the only epic weEnglish-speaking people possess. Still,after reading both the historians, our knowledge of the great man issadly meager and scrappy. Every code of morals will have to take into account peculiarities ofrace.
In the same way we study the Mosaic commendations. In a letter the other day I was asked why I praised Hans ChristianAnderson.
His first attempt, I think, was a failure. Whatan impotent and disappointing conclusion! He cannot fix foreternity an individual by his special features. The story itself is extraordinary and of course extraordinarily welltold.
Not only are the laws uncodified, butthey are at sixes and sevens. Clearly theHebraic precepts are not binding on us; nor in themselves perhaps veryadmirable.
Let us see if a modern comparison will helpus. Did he fall in love in youth or was his wife his onlyaffection?
About Sir William Davenant Aubrey makesthis remark: I was at his funeral.
They used massage and dry rubbing inpreference to cold dips and douches.