help-stow

[Help-stow] Stow directory and subdirectory

From: Junchen Gu
Subject: [Help-stow] Stow directory and subdirectory
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:04:05 -0600

Hi,

I just started to use stow today and thanks for making this awesome tool!

After playing around with it, I got it to work but I have two questions:

1. It seems that stow only applies to package directory, not
individual executable. I have installed several tools where there is
only one executable I want to stow in the package directory among many
other files. If I stow the package directory, everything will be
stowed, which is not what I want. Is there or will there be a function
to only select executables based on their names? I know the ignore
list function but when there is only one or two executables I want,
it's much harder to ignore many things than picking up a few.

2. In the GNU manual page
(http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/manual/stow.html), it says " If a
new subdirectory is encountered whilst stowing a new package, the
subdirectory is created within the target, and its contents are
symlinked, rather than just creating a symlink for the directory" I
can see this happen where the executables in the subdirectory (/bin)
can be invoked when I only have the target directory in the $PATH.
However, I don't understand why in the terminal, I can only see
subdirectory symlinks but not actual executable symlinks?

Thanks!

--
Best,
Junchen