help-tar

How do i figure out what exit code 13 means?

From: Alex Mantel
Subject: How do i figure out what exit code 13 means?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:23:26 +0200

Hello help-tar@gnu.org!

I create a tar archive with following command and stream it on another computer:

   # assume we are in the directory we want to send
   tar cf - . | pipe-to-other-system

And receive it on the other system with the following command:

   # assume we want to unpack in the current directory
   pipe-to-other-system | tar xf -

On the second system, where I unpack the streamed archive, I receive an exit-code 13. I would like to know what the exit-code means. It seems that the archive has been transferred fully and correctly. But having an exit code not equal to zero, seems a bit weird to me.

Within the man page under section "RETURN VALUE" it is stated, that 0,1 and 2 are the exit codes tar provides. Any other exit code is an exit code provided by a sub process called by tar.

But how do I figure out which sub process it is? Is there a recommended way to inspect which sub process is responsible for the exit code 13 (e.g. strace)?

Thank you! Regards, Alex
--
Alex Mantel                                 mantel@pre-sense.de
PRESENSE Technologies GmbH             Nagelsweg 41, D-20097 HH