Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:29:59 +0200

> From: Gavin Smith <gavinsmith0123@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 21:22:17 +0000
> Cc: Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr>, arsen@aarsen.me, help-texinfo@gnu.org
>
> For example, I looked at the mentioned code at
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/admin/admin.el
> (the manual-html-fix-* functions) and it is not instantly apparent what
> all of the code is supposed to achieve.

Welcome to the club.  The person(s) who wrote that code are no longer
active in Emacs development, so asking them is not an option.

> Hence, it would be better to try to understand what the Emacs distribution
> code is doing to the HTML output and if customization variables and/or
> the default output could support this.

My suggestion is to compare the original HTML files produced by
makeinfo with the massaged files on the GNU Software site, and try
guessing from the diffs what that code is trying to do.  My hope is
that any HTML expert (which I am not) will have a good guess by
looking at the diffs (and possibly also at how the results of
processing are shown in a browser, as compared to the original HTML
files produced by makeinfo).

If and when we understand the rationale for that code, and you can
suggest how to achieve the same with texi2any customizations, I can
assure you that we in the Emacs maintenance will enthusiastically
consider switching to those customizations.

(My point of improving the Texinfo documentation for these aspects
still stands, though.)

Thanks.