Re: Navigation panels in "separate element" TOCs

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Navigation panels in "separate element" TOCs
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 19:02:53 +0200

On Fri, Sep 13, 2024 at 04:39:30PM +0200, Rudolf Adamkovič wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> Notice how the top and bottom
>
>   navigation panels are not useful,
>
> as the user is looking at their target.
>
> Thus, I have two questions:
>
>   - Why is this the default behavior?

That's because it is the result of the regular elements buttons output
when there are no Up/Next/Prev directions.  I agree that a [Top] would
be much more helpful ([Top] is used with the texi2html style).

>   - How can I replace [Contents] with [Top]? (*)

You can specify

texinfo_set_from_init_file('MISC_BUTTONS', ['Top', 'Index', 'About']);

However, I think that it is not an issue if the Contents button is there
for contents, as MISC_BUTTONS could be used for other separate elements,
such as footnotes.

In any case, I think that I will replace the Up button that is never
present for separate special elements by the [Top] button in the default
case, thanks for the report.

--
Pat