heroes-discuss

Re: [Heroes] Segfault in Heroes-0.21

From: Jerome Zago
Subject: Re: [Heroes] Segfault in Heroes-0.21
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:20:29 +0100

On Saturday 14 February 2004 22:48, Ingo van Lil wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I recently installed Gentoo Linux (what a fantastic waste of time. :-) )

On which architecture ?

> and notice that their version of Heroes produces a segfault at
> startup.

Can you reproduce it if you ./configure && make && make install with the
tarball ? I ask because I have never noticed this bug when compiling from
scratch on Mandrake Linux 9.1 (i386). And I have played it (0.21) dozens of
hours.

> I fired up my debugger and realized it's a quite obvious bug
> in src/menus.c that has already been fixed 17 months ago but is still
> present in the current release tarball.

Is it this one ?
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/heroes/heroes/src/menus.c?r1=1.113&r2=1.114

> Wouldn't it be about time for a new release so any non-CVS users at least
> get a chance to play Heroes?

Unfortunately 0.29c (current CVS) has its own annoying problem. When playing
Quest in 2-player mode, displayed lifes at the start of the second level
don't match those at the end of the first level. This means we lose quickly.
Can anyone reproduce this ?

Maybe we can just release a 0.21 errata ?