[igraph] Suggestion for a new community detection function

From: Simone Caschili
Subject: [igraph] Suggestion for a new community detection function
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 18:43:18 +0200

Hello Igraph developers,

I'm starting implementing some analyses through community detection
algorithms. I have found interesting a new version of modularity
proposed Lancichinetti et al. (2008). As far as I have understood they
use the same approach proposed by the fastgreedy algorithm but they
propose a different fitness function (a different modularity function)
in order to find the best partition solution!

I have tried to implement this algorithm but because of my poor
programming experience it is impossible! I suppose it should be a
piece of cake for you since they have just changed the modularity
function. This version of modularity needs to know the internal and
external degree of a given community.

The good point is that setting a coefficient you may explore hirarchy
and overlaping of a node in different partitions.

The complete paper reference is:

Andrea Lancichinetti, Santo Fortunato, Janos Kertesz, 2008, "Detecting
the overlapping and hierarchical community structure of complex
networks", oai:arXiv.org:0802.1218

I hope you will take my suggestion and also implement it on Igraph
python version.

Regards,
Simon