[iiwusynth-devel] Re: iiwusynth and CVS usage

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: iiwusynth and CVS usage
Date: 30 Jan 2002 14:48:44 -0700

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 16:49, Peter Hanappe wrote:

> Hey Josh, many thanks for all your changes. And sorry that I didn't give
> you any feedback earlier.

No problem. I figured since I had access to CVS and it wasn't anything
real major, I'd just go ahead.

> I'm still quite new to autoconf/automake. I already removed the
> Makefile.in files and some other files. What more should be removed?

Ohh, I just looked at it in CVS, seems fine actually. Probably was from
a while ago when I saw some generated files.

> I'm currently finishing my work at Ircam after which I'm going to take
> some time for myself. I'll try finish the first official release (v0.1).
> I'll give you a quick look at my TODO list, maybe you have some things
> to add:
>
> - warbling bird bug
> - test reverb
> - test filter
> - test existing midi controllers
> - comparison tests with sblive
> - test and update audio drivers (dsound, oss, alsa, audioport
> (win,mac,linux))
> - test midi drivers (alsa, alsaseq, oss, winmidi, midishare
> (win,mac,linux))
> - man and info pages
> - rpm (and db ?) package
> - add chorus if I can find some clean code somewhere (?)

I have a few things to add (perhaps not necessarily before 0.1 release
though) :

- Add ~ completion to iiwusynth load command
- Bug: Loud overwhelming static heard with some instruments (filter
effect?) I think that is probably the same problem affecting the
warbling bird instrument (many other ones as well)
- Handling of notes seems strange, issuing a note-on WITHOUT a
corresponding note-off will cause a stuck note (expected behavior) but
issuing a note-on and note-off for the same note again will not turn it
off (unexpected behavior?).
- An all notes off command for iiwusynth (noteoff with no parameters?)
to get rid of pesky stuck notes

Some of those things I will add myself (~ completion, handling of notes,
all notes off). I'm still not completely comfortable debugging
iiwusynth, I need to get more familiar with the code base. The ability
to switch off different portions of the synthesis would probably help
tremendously when debugging synthesis problems. Any pointers? I would
like to try to help in any way possible.

> I know it may not look very exciting but if it's done well, version 0.1
> would be the first reference version for the DSP and driver code. After
> that, there's work to be done on the MIDI interface on the one hand and
> on the SoundFont interface on the other hand ;)

I'd like to help with the SoundFont interface. Smurf is coming along,
the libsoundfont API is fairly complete (no database protocol yet
though, although not useful for iiwusynth support), libsmurf is almost
there (needs wavetable object and dynamic plugin loading code), GUI
needs a bit of work in porting it to new libsmurf/libsoundfont
architecture. Seems like starting a CVS branch for a libsoundfont'ized
version of iiwusynth makes sense.

Cheers!

  Josh Green