[iiwusynth-devel] Re: Swami: No sound in iiwusynth

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: Swami: No sound in iiwusynth
Date: 25 Jun 2002 14:35:05 -0600

I have internet access again, finally. So I'll be answering some emails.

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 08:49, M. Nentwig wrote:

<cut>

> Well, if you produce the same value as |ing the constants from
> iiwusynth.h, then I'd guess that it works. I don't think that the
> constants will change, but the code might be more readable. In
> iiwu_defsfont.c (see end of mail), many lines of code are just to make
> it easier to read, they don't do anything (after preprocessing it
> results in 'flags |=0').

I'd much rather keep it the way it is (I'm following the SoundFont
standard directly and have modulator source control and flags merged)
and have my own set of enumerations which are in libInstPatch,
converting this to iiwusynth enumerations would be stupid :)

<cut>

> >From the 'swami' perspective you don't have to worry about creating the
> default modulators for iiwusynth; they are there as soon as you allocate
> a new voice - it comes preinitialized with all default modulators. Of
> course you could use tricks on the voice to get rid of them, but
> creating a new modulator with amount=0 will (should...) also work on
> other 2.1 compatible synths.

I don't think you quite got what I was saying, I was not referring to
disabling default modulators, but to the process in which I set
modulators via the sfloader API in iiwusynth. When using the iiwusynth
sfloader the concept of preset/instrument layers is done away with and
only voices are allocated (just clarifying, I know you know this). So I
have a routine in libInstPatch that does the layering of generators and
modulators. It takes a velocity and note number and calls a callback for
each voice that is active for these parameters. The callback routine is
passed the processed (layered) generators and modulators. Its rather
convenient for me to keep this routine generic, and it would be rather
messy to try and set modulators with the sfloader in a preset
layer/instrument layer fashion (contrary to the way in which generators
are dealt with). In other words I would need to set the preset and
instrument modulators separately, which would require a separate routine
all together.
Maybe it would be nice to have an option in the sfloader API to
enable/disable the setting of default modulators. But like I said
before, it appears the only penalty is that they get set twice (once by
iiwusynth and then again by Swami), so I don't think this is so much of
an issue now, until I start looking at latencies caused by Swami note on
events.

<cut>

> Cheers
>
> Markus