[iiwusynth-devel] Re: Unloading soundfonts

From: Antoine Schmitt
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: Unloading soundfonts
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:20:53 +0100

:::::::::21/11/02::::16:36 +0200::::M. Nentwig:::::::::
- The unload routine flags the sound font as unloaded, so that no new
voice processes may use it.
Then we keep the old soundfont in memory and only unload it when the
next sound font is loaded (triggered by the 'load' function), assuming
that all voices have finished in the meantime.

I dont like the idea of keeping the soundfont in memory (too long) after an unloadsoundfont is issued. A client may expect the memory to be released so that it can use it for other purposes (other than loading another soundfont), for example, in my case, as a Director Xtra, the memory could be used to load a large image. Why not using the timer functions (in iiwu_sys.h) to schedule a callback sometime after the current buffer is done, that will do the cleanup ? This way, there is no need for the iiwu_idle function.

++ as