[iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] GPL SoundFonts

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] GPL SoundFonts
Date: 08 Jan 2003 13:35:42 -0800

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 07:06, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A while ago there was a discussion about GPL'ed SF2. In fact there are none at
> the moment.
>
> As we (ALT Linux) plan a multimedia addon for our distribution, we can  put
> some SF2 on CD plus FTP. As our FTP is being mirrored by lots of other
> FTP-servers (e.g. ftp.ibiblio.org), they will be quite available for anyone :)
>
> What I need to know is whether any of this list's subscribers are  ready to
> provide their home made ;) SoundFonts under terms of GPL.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine,
> ALT Linux Documentation Team
> http://www.altlinux.com

I have one that I just kind of kick around for testing and the like. Not
real high quality or anything, but its got some interesting sounds. I
could clean it up a little to make it more suitable for distribution.
Does it make sense to apply the GPL license to a SoundFont? Or would
some other free license be more appropriate? (Since the GPL seems to be
specifically for source code and it doesn't make sense to require the
distribution of the source code for a SoundFont :) Cheers.
        Josh Green