[iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] iiwusynth segfault

From: Mark Knecht
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: [Swami-devel] iiwusynth segfault
Date: 22 Jan 2003 18:25:03 +0000

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 01:31, Josh Green wrote:
> > address@hidden mark]$ iiwusynth Soundfonts/Accord1.SF2
> > iiwusynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is
> > possible.
> >
> > Nothing happens. Ctl-C to break
> >

> Hmmm. Strange. That was probably what was causing Swami to not start
> before. The "Failed to pin the sample data to RAM" probably has to do
> with the mprotect call that is used to ensure that the sample data
> doesn't get swapped (causing overruns). It isn't really critical. If you
> were running as root the mprotect call would probably succeed. As things
> are, I wouldn't run it as root till you know it is working (SCHED_FIFO
> could lock machine if 100% CPU is reached).

OK, let's ignore that for the moment.

> Did you also just try running it without loading a SoundFont?
>
> iiwusynth -a jack

Sure. segfault. Tried with a bunch of different jack settings. No
difference.

> or
>
> iiwusynth -a alsa

I showed this before, but here it is again:

address@hidden mark]$ iiwusynth -a alsa
iiwusynth: warning: Attempted to use 16 audio periods got 0
period size: 64
iiwusynth: interval.c:159: snd_interval_refine: Assertion
`!snd_interval_empty(i)' failed.
Aborted

To me this looks like a default issue. The HDSP 9652 will work with jack
buffer sizes from 64 - 8192, but only with a periods/buffer of 2, I
believe. Not important to me right now as I must use Jack, but Peter/et.
all might want to look at why this happens.

> Hmm, sounds like something to do with the ALSA buffer size setting code.
> Perhaps try running FluidSynth with different buffer sizes and counts:
>
> iiwusynth -z 384 -c 3
>
> Some buffer sizes to try 128, 384, 512, 1024. Buffer count should
> probably be 2 or 3.

address@hidden mark]$ iiwusynth -a jack
Segmentation fault
address@hidden mark]$ iiwusynth -a jack -z 512 -c 2
Segmentation fault
address@hidden mark]$ iiwusynth -a jack -z 512 -c 3
Segmentation fault
address@hidden mark]$ iiwusynth -a jack -z 384 -c 3
Segmentation fault
address@hidden mark]$ iiwusynth -a jack -z 1024 -c 2
Segmentation fault
address@hidden mark]$

> What I would suggest is that you compile FluidSynth with debugging
> enabled "./configure --enable-debug" and then get some back traces on
> the lockups and segfaults by running FluidSynth through gdb:
>
> > gdb iiwusynth

I will do this next and get back to you.

Thanks!

Mark