truculent wayward

From: Nathaniel Daniel
Subject: truculent wayward
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:07:28 +0200

You are behaving well to me, Lord Macumazahn, and now I willbehave well to you.
More, those excellent men had breakfast cooking for us upona fire, and coffee ready.
As for the rest,hand over to me the woman called White-Mouse and I will talk withyou.
Hot coffee and food are great stimulants,and in ten minutes I felt a new man. I saw the knife flash and down he went, yelling in fearand pain. Because, Hans, I should be ashamed of myself if I did, and what ismore, you would be ashamed of me. Now pleasego to your post, shoot as straight as you can, and dont wastecartridges. I ran down the ladder in a fury and found Kaneke seated on thelanding-place, a man bemused. Being puzzled what to do, I turned to speak to the man. And what have you done with thewoman called White-Mouse who, you say, has changed into an owl?
So instead we made detoursand avoided those clumps of trees. I said, in a loud voice to theman, whom I recognized as one of the judges who had tried Kaneke. Thethird, however, who was bolder or perhaps guessed the truth, rushedat her.
Then I told Hans to find Kaneke,that I might explain matters and give him a rifle.
No, Lord, neither, he answered, with a little shiver.
I saw the knife flash and down he went, yelling in fearand pain. I will go up the ladder and push open the stone, as Itold you.
I may add that it was quite darkon that ladder, which was very unpleasant.
I returned to the landing-place and sat down to rest, almostweeping. As itwas it crushed in the top of the soft hat I was wearing.
Pieces ofrope still hung to his arms and legs, and she had a bared knife inher hand. Atlength I could control myself no longer. Baas, he added, I think that skunk has run away or turned into asnake and slid into the reeds.
Lord, although you do notknow it, we are bound together until all is accomplished as may befated.
I climbed past him up the ladder again until I could look over theedge of the hole.
Tell me the truth or I have done with you. That remains to be seen, I answered boldly.
White-Mousesaid we should get through safely, and I am beginning to believe inWhite-Mouse. White-Mousesaid we should get through safely, and I am beginning to believe inWhite-Mouse.
The camp was on the slope of alittle koppie, round-topped and thickly strewn with boulders. Not one word did he say until we reached the others, nor did Iquestion him. I said, in a loud voice to theman, whom I recognized as one of the judges who had tried Kaneke.
Now itwas very much alive and grown almost spiritual, like to the face ofone who is rapt in prayer. Now my patience was exhausted, and I asked her:Why should I do this thing?
Dont you think we had better be moving,Baas? Now pleasego to your post, shoot as straight as you can, and dont wastecartridges.