js-shield

Development meeting 20230926

From: Michael McMahon
Subject: Development meeting 20230926
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:22:48 -0400

* Grants (Development/Design)
  * NLnet
    - Ongoing.
    - riseup pad organizing grant objectives
* Open Technology Fund - ‘Free and Open Source Software’ Sustainability Fund
    - Still looking at it.
  * CZ-US Relation
    - Applied.
  * Be on the lookout for other grant opportunities.

- Speaking (Development/Design)
  - SECRYPT
    - Was the talk recorded?
- Next event of the The Global Gathering by Team Community might be a good fit for us next time.
    - https://wiki.digitalrights.community/index.php?title=Global_Gathering
- https://www.digitalrights.community/blog/announcing-team-communitys-global-gathering
  - Shared JShelter at Empodera Live 2023.
- Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS 2024) https://petsymposium.org/cfp24.php
    - Deadlines are November 30, 2023 or February 29, 2024.

* Progress on reported bugs (Development/Design)
  * Progress on optimization bugs.
* Fingerprint detector (FPD) reached limit. https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/issue/111
    * Fixed another issue
* Issue for Giorgio https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/issue/80#comment-852202 * We will disable webworkers until fixed. https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/js-shield/2023-09/msg00014.html * We need to report which script is doing the fingerprinting which can help maintainers of blocklists to better identify fingerprinting domains. https://jshelter.org/versions/#012

* Manifest V3 (Development)
  * Will focus on this.
* Creating several blog posts illustrating how Manifest V3 will affect web extensions. * Reaching out to other extension developers about how they will be affected.

* Localization or Internationalization (i18n) (Development/Design)
  * Discussed Weblate.

* Tests (Development)
* Tests can now use more browsers. The dev can specify the path and test multiple versions of Firefox for example.
  * We need to test esr, web developer (beta), and alpha.
* ESR version was different than newer versions so we changed a value from a fixed array that was stable which could lead to more fingerprinting.

* Blog posts
- Optimization post is coming along. Optimizations extension-wide seem to be even better than Martin's post.
  - Writing a blog post for the FSF bulletin.
  - Ideas
    * Internationalization
    * Web Assembly
    * WEI
- https://www.defectivebydesign.org/blog/web_environment_integrity_is_an_all_out_attack_on_free_internet

* News
  * 0.15.2 is out.
  * New blog post on optimizations.
  * New upcoming release with FPD and disabled webworkers.

* Next meeting (Development/Design)
  * Meetings repeat every two weeks.
  * Next development meeting: October 10th
  * Next design meeting: October 3rd