koha-devel

[Koha-devel] RE: Hello

From: Nicholas Rosasco
Subject: [Koha-devel] RE: Hello
Date: Mon Jul 1 09:55:41 2002

Koha is designed to support multiple branches (for example, the original
implementation was for a library with 3 different sites).  So your union
catalog problem is covered, I think.

Koha is normally run on a dedicated server (most of us use what is in
practice a high performance PC) connected to the internet and the catalog
information is delivered via the web (in other words, whatever your schools
use for book check out will need a network connection, as will whatever is
used to view the catalog).

Forgive me for the bullet points...
What kind of technology do you currently have?
[Koha is normally configured and run on a Unix/Linux machine, but the
catalog and circulation system can be used with anything with a web
browser.]

What kind of support (staff? contractor?) do you have?
[Koha is intended to be pretty easy to handle, but installation at the
moment is a little complicated at the moment.]

What kind of budget do you have for this project?
[Koha is free, I'm free, but Murphy's law :)]

Are there are sort of standards (cataloging, circulation) you must abide by
[you may need to check with your librarians on that]?

What sort of record exporting does your catalog support? [If we're lucky,
you may be able to feed all the book records directly from one to the
other...]