koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Ok, so that isn't it....

From: Andrew Arensburger
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Ok, so that isn't it....
Date: Tue Oct 15 20:51:07 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 06:25:27PM -0400, Nicholas S. Rosasco wrote:
> I'm updating the INSTALL (the ascii text we roll into the tarball) to
> reflect the fact the installer is your best bet for getting koha up and
> running.
>
> I am planning on taking the step by step directions out and give directions
> on how to start the installer.
>
> The "custom" and "step by step" directions are still on the manual and the
> website, but I don't see any reason, considering the quality of the
> installer now, to keep the step-by=step in the tarball separately, esp. as
> they are the last to be updated (usually)....
>
> Unless, of course, someone has a strong reason for keeping that in there?

        Speaking for myself, in twelve years of sysadminning, I've
been bitten by too many install scripts that make unwarranted
assumptions about my system[1], so a set of plain-text installation
instructions gives me the warm fuzzies. If nothing else, they provide
something to fall back on that's easier than RTFSing the install
script.

[1] See http://www.ooblick.com/text/InstallScripts.html

--
Andrew Arensburger                      This message *does* represent the
address@hidden                      views of ooblick.com