koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Thoughts about Javascript in Koha 2.0

From: Ambrose Li
Subject: [Koha-devel] Thoughts about Javascript in Koha 2.0
Date: Mon Dec 2 08:35:03 2002

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:54:16PM -0000, address@hidden wrote:

> Note : yes, checks are performed only on client side.
> I agree this is not very secure, but it's a rarely modified
> value and koha 2.0
> will need :
> * IE5+ or Mozilla/Netscape 6+
> * javascript enabled.

Hmm, I don't know the rationale behind the change -- I suppose
it is for ease of programming --, but I will be one who will be
"voting against it" (if my vote counts).

It is better (from an accessibility point of view) to remove
the dependency on Javascript instead of to strengthen it. By
removing I don't mean all checks must be done on server side;
my ideal web app would use Javascript checks if Javascript
is there, but fall back on a server-side check if there's no
Javascript. We can code the checks in something other than perl
& Javascript, and generate both the real Javascript and Perl
code at "install time".

IMHO, an open-source web app should take care to cater to
text-browser users (e.g., they might be blind).

I suppose it is fine to make the librarian module work only with
IE5+/Mozilla (though I still would not like to see that happen);
but I think the OPAC must not depend on Javascript.

--
Ambrose Li  <address@hidden>
http://ada.dhs.org/~acli/cmcc/  http://www.cccgt.org/

DRM is theft - We are the stakeholders